Pastry Shell -
2 cups All-purpose flour, sifted
1 tsp Sea salt
8 tbsp Butter, unsalted, cut into 1/4 pieces
1/4 cup Ice water
2 cups Milk
2 cups Heavy cream
6 Large eggs
1 tbsp Sea salt
1/4 tsp White pepper, freshly ground
1/8 tsp Nutmeg, fresh
1 lb Bacon, cut to 3/8" lardons
2 cups Onion confit
3/4 tsp Sea salt
1/4 tsp Black pepper, freshly ground
2 tsp Thyme, fresh, minced
1/2 cup Comte or Gruyere cheese
Pair: 2021 Élevée Grüner Veltliner
(Click to Purchase)
1) Place 1 cup flour and salt in mixer with paddle attachment, turn on low.
2) Slowly add butter pieces, turn mixer to medium.
3) When butter completely mixed, reduce speed, add remaining flour, add water, mix to incorporate
4) Remove dough, mold to 6" round, cover with plastic wrap, refrigerate for 1 day to rest.
5) Flour surface, roll out dough to 3/16" thick.
6) Transfer dough to oiled 9" spring form pan and mold to fit pan, leaving excess to drape over top.
7) Preheat oven to 375F, line dough with 14" parchment round, fill with beans (to apply pressure).
8) Bake 35-45 minutes, until sides are brown, but bottom still light in color
9) Remove parchment with beans, return to oven for 15-20 minutes or until bottom is golden brown.
10) While pastry is cooling, bake bacon in 375F oven until fat is rendered, then drain on paper towel
11) To create filling, add bacon, thyme, onion confit, salt, and pepper to skillet and cook until warmed.
12) Combine cream and milk in seperate sauce pot and scald over medium heat, then let cool for 15 minutes.
13) To create batter, add cream mixture, eggs, nutmeg, salt, and pepper to blender; blend 5 sec low speed, 30-60 sec high.
14) Place 1/2 of filling in pastry, 1/2 of grated cheese on top, and pour 1/2 of batter over filling.
15) Add remaining filling, most of remaining batter, and top with remaining cheese.
16) Pour remaining batter into center to fill shell to the top.
17) Bake at 375F for 1.5-1.75 hours, until top is browned and custard is set.
18) Allow to cool, then place in refrigerator for 1-3 days.
19) When ready to eat, place slices on oiled baking sheet and bake at 375F for 15 minutes